Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Coffee Experience


I thought it would be fun to write a bit about my love for coffee as I've always considered it one of my greatest passions. In particular, it got me thinking . . . why do I love it so much? Many would say it's due to its addictive properties and I know that those are partly to blame. However, when I think about coffee, I think about so many things besides it's taste and how I feel afterwards . . . I think about the experiences that are connected to it.

When I think about coffee, I think about mornings at my parents' house, sitting at the kitchen table with my Mom while my Dad is at the computer, talking about everything and nothing at the same time.

When I think about coffee, I remember being at the cafeteria at Bates College after dinner, filling up two paper cups with a combination of coffee and cocoa powder (a "poor man's mocha"), and then stacking them on top of one another for easy travel to the library.

When I think about coffee, I remember being at a cafe in Dubai with my buddy Val, sitting outside as the sun was going down late in the afternoon, just hanging out and joking around.

When I think about coffee, I picture being by Sebago Lake in Maine in the morning, walking barefoot in the sand, as I carry a mug, a book, and a chair to the beach.

When I think about coffee, I picture having dessert on Thanksgiving with my family, with a big cup of Dunkin Donuts accompanying my pumpkin pie and ice cream.

When I think about coffee, I see crazy weekends in Medford with J.T. and Payne, having recovery afternoons before we got ready for another wild night, and making sure iced venti nonfat white mochas were in the mix.

When I think about coffee, I'm in Zurich on a cold January afternoon, a tourist on a mission, trekking from cafe to cafe and trying a cappuccino at each one . . . and recording each visit with a photograph such as the one above.

When I think about coffee, my favorite show Seinfeld comes to mind along with all of my favorite coffee shop scenes. And for the record, just like Jerry, I get my coffee on the outside!

When I think about coffee, I think about a first date when a fun conversation kept going and going . . . and eventually led to dinner :)

When I think about coffee, I remember being in a hospital bed and my Mom bringing me iced coffee and maple scones when she visited . . . truly one of the only things I had to look forward to at the time.

To me, coffee is all about the experience and it always will be - so many great memories are connected to it and so many moments in the future will be. I've laughed with coffee and cried with coffee, kissed with coffee and yelled with coffee, triumphed with coffee and failed with coffee, dreamed with coffee and woken with coffee, loved with coffee and hated with coffee. Ultimately, I have lived with coffee . . . and I always will.

In closing, I share with you the best part about my coffee experiences: I can definitely drink coffee late in the day and be just fine . . . unlike this guy.

I'd love to hear about your feelings for coffee and to know if you feel the same way that I do . . . that coffee is all about the experience!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

This is a great post Russ. I love coffee too and everything that goes with it. You have a real knack for writing and I enjoy reading your blog!

Scott said...

I love coffee too and always will. I can also drink coffee right before bed and sleep like a baby. I don't need it to wake up, I simply love the taste and of course the experience of every cup.

Unknown said...

Another feather in the cap of our mutual friend, coffee: the argument can be made that the introduction of coffee to Western Europe in the 17th century is partly responsible for the Age of Enlightenment. Prior to coffee's arrival on the scene, people pretty much woke up and drank beer all day. Probably lots of bar fights and swearing, but not much in the way of deep thought and stimulating conversation going on. Author Stephen Johnson refers to this period as Europe "emerging from a centuries-long bender"... wait, this started out as a compliment for coffee...

Post a Comment