Friday, February 12, 2010

Creative Visualization


Over the last few months, I've found myself using creative visualization a lot given I've been training to run the Boston Marathon. However, as I've been doing this, I've realized that I've also been using this tool a lot in other areas of my life.

For example, when I used to approach a woman at a bar, I'd picture a couple of buddies firing me up with a monologue like this, imagine myself making attractive facial expressions at just the right time, envision being just charming enough, and ultimately, doing everything I could to leverage my strongest asset . . . my sense of humor (please insert any and all jokes here).

Another example: job interviews - even before a phone screen, I go beyond thinking about what I'm going to say and actually picture myself saying it. Additionally, I visualize the person on the other end giving me positive feedback, good follow-up questions, and generally sounding as if they'd like to hire me on the spot.

A third example: exercise and sport - an obvious one and especially critical for me given my marathon training; within this setting, it is probably having the biggest impact. The other day I was out on the Boston course, in the snow and the wind, running up and down the first hill over . . . and over . . . and over. At each sign, telephone pole, or other marker, I tried to picture someone or something drawing me in - first it was Mary McManus, one of my inspirations for running Boston and the consummate example of perserverance and courage - next it was my coach Jeremy with his fire and enthusiasm for my training and progress, telling me not to quit - then it was me back in 2002, laid up in a hospital bed and unable to move my leg, heavily medicated and feeling like I would never make it back to reality . . .

The reason I think creative visualization is so powerful in exercise is because it helps to manage pain. In particular, it doesn't eliminate anything I'm feeling physically when I'm on mile 16 but it helps make it a little bit more bearable from a mental standpoint. I've been told that some people can take creative visualization to a level whereby their physical pain can actually be reduced (or at least feel like it is) and this is a place I'm striving to get to.

I wonder how many others out there take advantage of creative visualization in the parts of their lives I've identified above. Even more interesting is to consider other areas of our lives where we could use it: non-romantic relationships, day-to-day activities, job performance, etc. - based on the number of books and publications I've seen on the topic, my hunch is that many people are using it throughout their lives and I certainly hope this is the case.

In fact, as funny as this scene was (Apollo Creed at the piano?!), it really does have a lot of meaning behind it and I can't think of a better way to capture it; creative visualization can be a very powerful tool and I plan on leveraging the hell out of it!

I'm signing off for the weekend but will be back on Monday with a new post so be sure to check back here next week!

Also, don't forget to tell your friends, family, and other peeps about my alter-ego (TMWDoBaJ.CrewM - http://tinyurl.com/yjvqob9) and if you haven't already, to show your love for Spaulding Rehab Hospital and Mary McManus here!: http://www.firstgiving.com/russforspaulding

3 comments:

Mary McManus said...

Thanks for the mention Russ! I use creative visualization in every area of my life and there was a study done on Olympic athletes. They wired them to a machine to measure muscle response and activity. When they visualized their event, their muscles fired as though they were actually running the event. I'm so glad you have embraced this tool to help you live the life of your dreams and achieve your goals. Good luck tomorrow. I'll be on Heartbreak Hill.

TP said...

great post...thank you!!!

:) Good luck to you on that special MONDAY!

Unknown said...

Hi,

You've got a really wonderful blog. A lot of people will not recognize what mind power can do to one's success Commence directing the great power of the mind and subconscious mind to create the existence you desire with our Mind Power training process. Get the Free of charge Mp3, E-Course and CD right now and commence directing the power of your respective mind and subconscious mind to develop the lifetime you need - in 7-simple actions.

Post a Comment