Thursday, February 11, 2010

J. Crew or Bust


As you may have already heard, in my latest act of shameless self-promotion, I've started a fan page for myself on FB entitled "The Man Who Dreams of Becoming a J.Crew Model" . . . I know what you're thinking: IS HE SERIOUS?! Well for starters, I am. And second, if a FB page entitled "Can this pickle get more fans than Nickelback?" can get nearly 800,000 fans, score a T-shirt deal, AND get press on Billboard . . . in just over a week's time . . . the question is: why shouldn't everyone start a fan page for themselves?
Now I'm guessing some of you probably want to punch me in the face right now and the truth is, the Russ of a few years ago would probably punch 2010 Russ in the face as well . . . but the bottom line is that this makes sense on several levels. Allow me to explain:
  1. I've been a J.Crew brand champion for the past ten years, remaining incredibly loyal to their image and style, while spending countless thousands on their men's and women's clothing, accessories, and other products . . . much to the chagrin of my parents and (former) financial advisor . . . and yet I digress.
  2. It looks like models have a lot of fun
  3. Can there be anything more satisfying than creating a fan page for yourself on Facebook and then becoming a fan of it?
  4. During each of the past two summers I've hosted a "Preppy Party" in which my primary focus (aside from drinking heavily and entertaining my ultra-preppy guests) was to try and sport  J.Crew's entire men's summer collection . . . in one evening. The shot below is from the first party when I "successfully" pulled off a seersucker, plaid, and pinstripes ensemble . . . while rocking Nantucket Red shorts . . . amazing, right?
  5. After recently scoring an audition for a New Balance commercial, I feel like the timing for self-promotion couldn't be better . . . but maybe I should have waited on this until I actually got the job? . . . whatever, I'm putting the NB audition on my CV either way. 
  6. I love the idea of making it into a J.Crew catalog and having countless readers see me and think things like "Really? This guy got in here?", "J.Crew must be cutting back on their sales and marketing budget . . .", and "If this guy can be a J.Crew model, Kramer should have gotten that CK gig!"
In all honesty, I've always wanted to try and get into modeling and as much fun as I think it would be to work in J.Crew's marketing organization, I'm pretty sure I'd have more fun modeling for them . . . then again, given I'm already 31 going on 81, any modeling career I can establish is likely to be a short one. Thus, I should probably start hinting at my interest in marketing the minute I get my foot in the door . . . don't you just love my confidence?

Why the swagger? Well in less than 12 hours after going live, the page already has 6 fans (including myself) with the good news being that one of those fans actually works for J.Crew so . . . at the very least, this fan and I will share some uncomfortable laughter the next time I visit her store.

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Mary McManus said...

Good luck my friend! And hey be sure to put in a plug for your Marathon run -- I'll do it for you. Hey everyone not only is Russ an impeccably dressed man with style and grit, he is running the Boston Marathon for Spaulding Rehab. So he is getting off of his butt - you get off of yours and donate now to www.firstgiving.com/russforspaulding

Anonymous said...

Russ, as you know I am the female version of you. I don't wanna be a model (obviously at 5'2 I can't be one) However, I am just as loyal to the brand as you are. My ENTIRE wardrobe consists of all that is JCrew. Come out for my birthday on March 6th, somewhere in Boston. I will introduce you to my dear friend Deanna, a Market Director (big wig) for our favorite brand. : )

Anonymous said...

"Can there be anything more satisfying than creating a fan page for yourself on Facebook and then becoming a fan of it?"

What? You mean, like, masturbation?

Anonymous said...

The last time I checked, models generally don't have double chins. Nor do they sport vests that fit as if they could potentially burst at the seams...

Post a Comment