Monday, February 8, 2010

Execution

For awhile now, Jeremy (my running coach) has been stressing the importance of executing a plan during my long runs . . . come to think of it, he's been stressing the importance of execution with every run; every time I go out, he thinks I should have a plan of attack, goals in mind, and most importantly, means to achieve those goals. Ultimately, his stance is that these things will allow you to achieve something big once you're out on the run: execution.

For me, yesterday's run was probably the first time I put everything together and was able to fully execute. Since I've started working with Jeremy, I've become a quick believer in his philosophy but it's not an easy thing to learn and bring together unless you're really hitting on all cylinders. Pre-run nutrition, stretching, pacing, hydration, in-run fueling, posture, gait and mental focus are all key components that must all be incorporated. In fact, the overall execution is really a series of smaller executions: I hit Shaw's the night before to make sure I had everything ready for my 7 AM breakfast, I woke up on time and had everything ready to go for prep and quick consumption of my pre-run meal, I had a ride out to my starting point planned, and so on.

The most compelling part of yesterday's run was seeing the results after having focused on all of the things above. Since becoming an amateur runner, I have (to a fault) always been focused on things like total time, time per mile, total distance, and other traditional metrics used to gauge ability and/or success. Granted, these are certainly important pieces of data to consider, review, and strive for when competing, however what my coach has taught me is that if you focus on the components that go into executing, the time and distance will take care of itself. In other words, if you work hard at eating better, stretching more, focusing on form, doing the right amount of weight training, etc., you will make gains and improve no matter what.

Yesterday I ran 15 miles in 2:06 which is equivalent to an 8:24 min/mile pace. From a classical metrics perspective, this was my fastest 15 miles ever. But what I'm even more pleased about is that the satisfaction I felt before, during, and after the run had nothing to do with anticipating, experiencing, or reflecting on this result . . . the satisfaction was all about the anticipation, experience, and reflection on execution.

If you're a runner and you're ever out on the Boston course, you know that a tradition of sorts exists: you typically wave or exchange some type of greeting with other runners as you pass by them. After I'd finished my run yesterday, I was tired but pretty much beaming and standing tall, basking in the glow of my accomplishment. A couple of elite looking runners went by me going in the other direction, both giving me a nod of encouragement and a wave, probably seeing I'd just finished up my run . . . I don't know who these guys were or what they were thinking but what I do know is that it was a great feeling to have them come by at that moment and acknowledge me.

Speaking of acknowledgements, special thanks to the gentleman at the Dorset Cafe in Wellesley who lent me $5 in cash so I could get a train back to the city . . . it's the little things that make a difference and I think my coach would be proud of me because even in the post-run glow I was experiencing yesterday, I still found a way to overcome an obstacle and execute!

Help me support Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital and honor Mary McManus as I prepare for Boston 2010 by clicking here!

2 comments:

Mary McManus said...

Congrats on a great run! You can always call me if you need a ride. Be sure to put a link to your firstgiving website at the end of every blog www.firstgiving.com/russforspaulding so everyone can donate!

Jeremy said...

I am proud of you! You're putting the pieces together. You are thinking and behaving like an athlete now. This process is a journey of continuous improvements; the specifics that make incremental differences and aggregate to a big picture result. I want you to continue to appreciate the experience and all attributes that make you successful in achieving your goals.

Post a Comment